Macadamia, Kale & Blueberry Salad with Almond Dressing
Fresh and crunchy with a fruity hit from fresh berries and a rich nut-butter dressing — it will go so quickly that you just may want to make double in the first place!
Serves 2 generously or 4 as a side
- 4 large stalks kale, leaves strips from centre stalk
- ¼ purple cabbage
- ½ cup macadamia nuts
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
For the dressing
- 2 Tbsp almond butter (or macadamia butter)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- generous pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp maple syrup, optional
- warm water, if needed
Roughly chop kale leaves (or finely slice, depending on your preference). Discard the stalks if you haven’t already and place leaves into a large serving bowl. Finely slice the purple cabbage and coarsely chop the macadamia nuts, keep seperate from the kale for the time being.
Whisk together dressing ingredients, except water, until smooth. Yes, it will all come together — be patient. Whisk in water a teaspoon or so at at time until the dressing is pourable (but not too runny). Adjust salt/sour/sweet to taste if necessary.
Pour half the dressing over kale and massage for a minute to soften leaves. Add cabbage, half the nuts and half the berries to the kale and toss to combine. Top with remaining nuts and berries, drizzle with remaining dressing.
- To bulk up the salad you can top it with roasted sweet potato or pumpkin, grilled protein, or toasted pepitas.
- The amount of water you need for the dressing will depend on the consistency of your nut butter. Make sure to whisk in each addition before adding more.
vegan // vegetarian // dairy-free // gluten-free // sugar-free