Blueberry Breakfast Pizza
Pizza is really just toast with more surface area and therefore perfectly acceptable for breakfast, especially when covered with nuts and fruit. You may call it colouring outside the lines, I call it making a new line — tomato, tomahto.
Serves 1 – 2
- 1 wholewheat flatbread or pre-cooked pizza base
- 2 Tbsp almond butter — or other nut or seed butter
- 2 Tbsp coconut milk
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp corn flour (corn starch)
- ½ custard apple — or ½ mango or 1 banana
- ¼ cup raw, unsalted macadamia nuts
- maple syrup, optional
Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Roughly chop macadamia nuts and spread over a baking tray. Scoop custard apple flesh from skin.
Stir coconut milk into almond butter, mixing until smooth and roughly the consistency of tomato passata — adding a bit of water if necessary. Place flatbread on a pizza pan and spread with almond-coconut sauce. Bake base and macadamia nuts 6 – 8 minutes until base is crisp and nuts are toasted.
Meanwhile, bring berries and water to a simmer. Dissolve cornflour in a teaspoon or two of extra cold water and drizzle into simmering berries while whisking gently. Mixture will thicken immediately but continue to cook, and whisk, for 3 – 4 minutes.
Spoon custard apple over baked pizza base. Dollop with berries and berry syrup, scatter over toasted macadamia nuts and dust with cinnamon. Drizzle with maple syrup if you wish — although custard apple is quite sweet so I didn’t bother with syrup. Slice pizza to serve.
- If using mango or banana, peel, thinly slice and squeeze over a bit of lemon juice.
- Yes, this would work just as well with bread — simply toast a couple slices of good sourdough then spread, spoon, dollop and scatter as above.
- Corn flour can be replaced with arrowroot, however sauce needs to be removed from heat after 30 seconds instead of 3 – 4 mins.
vegan // vegetarian // gluten-free with gf base // dairy-free // soy-free