Okonomiyaki Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
All the toppings of Okonomiyaki, stuffed into a baked sweet potato. Perfect.
- 1 sweet potato
For the sprouts
- handful Brussels sprouts (approx 5 large)
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 2 tsp olive oil
- sea salt & cracked pepper
- bonito flakes
- shredded nori or furikake
- mayo (or alternative)
- bbq sauce
- thinly sliced green onion (spring onion) tops
- fried egg, optional but highly encouraged
Scrub sweet potato and prick three or four times with a fork. Enclose in a baking paper and foil packet (or place on rimmed a baking paper lined tray and cover well with foil) and bake at 180ºC (350ºF) oven for an hour until beginning to soften. Uncover/unwrap potato and bake a further 15 – 20 mins until tender.
When the potato is almost done, thinly shave the Brussels sprouts and garlic using a mandoline (or ninja knife skills). Place a skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil, sprouts and garlic and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Saute 3 – 5 minutes until shaved sprouts are soft with a few slightly charred bits.
To serve, cut sweet potato open and use a fork gently mash flesh. Fill with sauteed Brussels sprouts and top with a fried egg. Be as generous or restrained as you wish with the bonito, nori, onions, mayo and bbq sauce.
COOK’S NOTES & SUBSTITUTIONS
- Mayo: I’m not a mayo person (never have been) so I used thick natural Greek yoghurt instead. Unsweetened coconut yoghurt or even cashew aioli would work well too.
- Bonito flakes: called Katsuobushi, bonito flakes are made by shaving dried tuna or bonito. You can find them in most Asian grocery stores or online. Simply leave them off for a vegan version!
- BBQ sauce: we don’t really have this around so I whipped up a quick version by simmering some tomato passata with a spoonful of molasses and a bit of dijon mustard until thickened.
- Sweet potato baking times will vary — with the age and type of sweet potato as well as the size. I often bake as per above then leave it in the oven as it cools if it needs a bit more time.
dairy-free // gluten-free // vegan option // soy-free // nut-free