Beetroot & Berry Smoothie Bowl
I’m a fan of smoothies with substance and while I do love a big bowl of nicecream I simply can’t start the day with something so sweet. Needless to say I tend more to veggies and only slightly sweetened smoothie bowls, however the lack of fruit in the blend means I can use more of it to decorate the top — everybody wins.
Serves 1, multiply as required
- 2 small raw beetroot (beets), finely grated
- 1 mandarin, peeled and seeds removed
- ½ cup almond milk or coconut water
- 1 cucumber
- ½ avocado
- 1 or 2 handfuls frozen berries
- 1 Tbsp pea protein powder, or a small handful of nuts, both entirely optional
- pomegranate seeds
- something crunchy if you wish
Read More: How to Make Couscous & The Hidden Side of Couscous / Fruit Omelette & Blueberry Muffin Croutons / A Dozen Ways to Add Veggies to Your Breakfast Bowl
If you have a high-speed blender, throw all the ingredients in and blend until smooth. I however don’t have a high-speed blender so I use an immersion / hand blender for pretty much everything and blend in the following order for maximum smoothie smoothness:
Blend grated beetroot and milk until smooth (if using nuts add at this point). Add the cucumber and blend again. Add avocado, berries and protein powder (if using) and blend once more until silky smooth and thick.
Pour into a glass and go, or tip into a bowl and decorate with various red fruit.
- Make it yours, really, the ingredient quantities are simply a good starting point.
- Increase or decrease items as you wish, add a banana or dates for more sweetness, add ice and/or leave out the avocado for a frappe-style, use roasted beetroot if you prefer.
vegan // vegetarian // gluten-free // dairy-free // nut-free option // soy-free