Fridge Surprise Skillet Hash
Leftovers don’t have to look the same as they did the night before. Reinventing a roast dinner — or pretty much anything else — as skillet hash is a quick and easy solution no matter what’s lingering in your fridge. Surprise!
Serves 1, multiply as desired
- Starch: leftover roasted sweet potatoes
- Veg: leftover grilled broccolini
- Protein: leftover baked salmon
- Leafy Greens: fresh baby spinach
- 1 egg
- olive oil
- hot sauce, salt and pepper to serve
Roughly chop leftovers into bite-size pieces. Place a small skillet over medium heat, when warm drizzle in a bit of olive oil and add starch and veggies. Sauté 2 – 3 minutes until warmed through, adding a splash of water for moisture if necessary.
Add protein and leafy greens, cook just until greens are wilted and protein is warmed through. Push hash to the edges of the pan to create a small space in the centre, drizzle in a bit of oil and crack in the egg.
Cover and cook 3 – 5 minutes until egg is cooked to your liking. Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce, slide onto a plate or serve in the skillet.
- Can I… yes. But what about… yet. So even… yes. Seriously, throw it all in a pan, add an egg (or don’t) and eat.
- Substitute sweet potatoes with potatoes, other root veg, rice or even pasta
- Substitute broccolini with stir-fried zucchini, cauliflower or other robust veg
- Substitute salmon with roast chicken, steak, tofu, mushrooms or beans
- Substitute baby spinach with shredded kale, radicchio or another robust leaf
gluten-free // dairy-free // nut-free // soy-free // vegetarian option