Sour Cream Banana Bread
YIELD 1 -2 LOAVES
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened for 15-18 seconds in microwave
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream (regular or light)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, shaken before pouring
- 1 1/4-1 1/2 cup mashed overripe bananas, about 2 medium bananas*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Grease and one large or two medium loaf pans.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, place rack in middle of oven.
- Place the butter in a bowl. Mix butter and sugar together until smooth. Add sour cream and eggs.
- Beat until smooth again. Add buttermilk, bananas and vanilla. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated. There may be a few bits of banana that are not completely mashed.
- Add all remaining dry ingredients. Mix on low speed just until wet and dry ingredients are combined, about 20 seconds. Do not over mix, do not mix on high speed.
- Spoon batter into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes (for two medium pans) 50-55 minutes for one large loaf pan, or until toothpick inserted in middle of loaf comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. When the loaf is touched in the middle, the loaf should spring back.
Read More: GREEN CHILE AND CHEESE CORNBREAD / HOMEMADE HOT CROSS BUNS / BRAIDED CHEESE-ONION BREAD
-This recipe will make one large or two medium size loaves of banana bread. -The recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups or about 2 medium bananas. The bananas will vary in size. I usually do not measure out the bananas added to the recipe. It is not necessary to mash the bananas beforehand if using very ripe (mushy) fruit. If the bananas will not easily be broken up with the mixer, mash ahead of time in a bowl or cup with a fork.-This recipe freezes well. Let the bread cool completely and then let sit on counter, wrapped in saran wrap to thaw. Slice and serve.-When filling the pans before baking, the batter should fill the pan about 3/4 full for a nice rounded loaf top.